Given that I had a c-section, I was not able to go down and be with him in the nursery. They did wheel me by the window, but that was the closest look I got until 14 hours after he was born. Anyway, the night he was born, Nate went home to be with Jack and I was at the hospital by myself with a not-so-good nurse (to put it kindly). Around 12:30 am I still had not slept a wink and a very sweet nurse came in to tell me that Matthew was going to need a procedure done on his lungs called Surfactant. I knew exactly what it was because I had watched a few babies have it done when Jack was born and was in the NICU for 2 weeks. It is HORRIBLE to watch. I immediately began to cry, knowing what they were about to do to my little baby who I hadn't even held yet. I couldn't go down and be with him and Nate couldn't come back to the hospital. This incredible nurse turned to me and said, "I'll stay with Matthew and I'll hold his hand and tell him how much you love him and I'll be with him all night."
This woman showed more love and support to me than anyone the entire four LONG days we were there. She constantly checked on me and went above and beyond to help me. This was far more than her job paid her to do and she did it genuinely. My heart has been so touched by this woman and I am forever grateful to her for taking care of me and Matthew and showing true charity. She is my Angel on Earth.
6 comments:
Oh Lindsey, I'm so glad to hear this. I'm so happy that you were able to have such a nurse.
What a sweet story. I got all choked up. I love people like that, that genuinly love their job and are so good at what they do. How's Matthew doing now?
Wow. I need to talk to you guys!! I hope everything is going okay. Love you! (This is Shanna, not Valley View Ward...I'm just to lazy to sign out)
Did you by chance have him at Utah Valley? I HATED delivering there!! There was one nurse I liked and that was it for me, too. I'm glad you had at least one good one that was there for your son when you couldn't be. Thank heavens!
We're excited for you three. It's great to see your family after so long and read a good nurse story. I've decided nurses have the potential to be better than family during those hard hospital stays. Thanks for sharing. dave
oh Lindsey. you just put me to tears. I am glad there are still good people like that around. what a great person. I hope your little Matthew is doing well.
Post a Comment